Pixar’s ‘Turning Red’ is the latest direct to Disney+ films that the studio has put out. It seems to be the way that things are going for Pixar anymore. However, the movie was a hit with many and a miss for some. If you aren’t a Disney+ subscriber you can pay for it via it’s digital and physical media releases coming soon.
(It’s probably cheaper to just subscribe to Disney+ for a month and watch it.)
The film will be coming to digital release on all major platforms on April 26th.
If you prefer a physical copy, that release will be on May 3rd with Blu-Ray/ DVD for $24.99.
There is also a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray version coming out for $29.99
There are bonus features including:
- Audio Commentary: View the film with audio commentary by director Domee Shi, producer Lindsey Collins, and director of photography Mahyar Abousaeedi.
- Life of a Shot: Domee Shi and members of the crew describe the many-layered process and artistry involved in creating the hilarious Red Peony scene – from observing red pandas in a zoo to creating a storyboard to finalizing the animation and background lighting.
- Build Your Own Boy Band: Step backstage to learn how 4*TOWN came to animated life. From creating each band member’s persona to writing and producing the songs to fine-tuning the details of their stadium performance, the filmmakers reveal how they designed the ultimate boy band.
- Ani-Mei-Tion: Because Mei’s heightened emotionality is central to the story, it was important that her look and movement reflect that energy. Learn how Domee Shi led the animation team to incorporate hints of expressive anime to create Mei’s lovable, dynamic character.
- Introduction: Director Domee Shi introduces scenes not included in the final version of Turning Red.
- Intro Meilin: In this alternate opening, Ming and young Mei have their portrait taken in a studio…but Ming has her own specific vision for the photo.
- Taming The Panda: Under her mother’s guidance, Mei learns techniques to control her ability to magically turn into a red panda…to varying degrees of success.
- The Debate: Mei runs for class president against frenemy Tyler, and the speeches get a little out of hand.
- Fei And Christina Hang: Mei (formerly Fei) shares a banana split while having a heart-to-heart with Aunt Christina.
- 4*TOWN Dilemma: Mei scores tickets to her dream concert, but her strict mother won’t let her out of the house. What will she do?
- Roping In Leo: Pleading with Leo for help with getting out of trouble, Mei learns a couple of his closely guarded secrets.
Easter Egg: Robutton Deleted Scene: An alternate ending in which Mei, finding herself sitting next to her 4*TOWN dream-idol Robaire on a flight to California, has some feelings.
What do you think? Comment and let us know!
Pirates & Princesses (PNP) is an independent, opinionated fan-powered news blog that covers Disney and Universal Theme Parks, Themed Entertainment and related Pop Culture from a consumer's point of view. Opinions expressed by our contributors do not necessarily reflect the views of PNP, its editors, affiliates, sponsors or advertisers. PNP is an unofficial news source and has no connection to The Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal or any other company that we may cover.