Legoland Orlando had previously announced they had gotten the local government approval to reopen on June 1st. They released information and announcements for the date, but now it appears they may not have had full approval after all.
According to the Orlando Sentinel:
“Legoland on Friday declared it had state permission to reopen on June 1, but the governor’s office later said that wasn’t the case.”
Governor DeSantis’s spokeswoman Helen Ferre told the Orlando Sentinel:
“..that the only major theme park to receive approval to reopen on Friday was Universal Studios in Orlando.”
Of course Legoland is trying to get to the bottom of the situation with the Legoland General Manager, Rex Jackson, trying to get ahold of state officials and see where the miscommunications were.
According to a Legoland spokeswoman they were:
“..under the impression that the plan was approved until a reporter called to inform them otherwise. They sent out news releases touting the decision and said the park would begin to bring back an unspecified number of employees on furlough.”
Legoland had gotten local approval for their plan the night before Universal Orlando got their local approval.
The plans presented and approved by the Winter Haven commissioners included:
- 50% capacity limit-About 6,000 guests.
- Temperature checks. Guests having a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher would be turned away.
- Cashless Payments
- 200 Hand Sanitizer stations
- Social Distancing signs
- Employees will wear masks. Guest over 3 will be encouraged by not required to wear masks.
- Virtual queue
- No Character Meet and Greets
- They did get guidance from Advent Health officials
There’s no word on what the issue is. We thought maybe it was because of masks not being mandatory, but Fun Spot reopened and masks weren’t required. So who knows?
I’m hoping they will get it figured out and worked out before their planned opening. June 1st is just a little more than a week away.
What do you think? Comment and let us know!
Source: Orlando Sentinel