As of time of writing, the first Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) since 2019 will happen in three weeks. I realize that a Halloween after hours event starting August 12th sounds odd. I also acknowledge that the idea of dressing up for Halloween event when it might be 90 degrees Fahrenheit sounds foolish. Yet, welcome to Orlando area theme park culture.
So, let us say you have tickets for MNSSHP. Since it has been almost three years since the last MNSSHP, we all need a refresher. I will list a few reminders/updates on how to make your evening better at Magic Kingdom. We will be covering the second night of the event so please follow the blog and I will also post some photos from my Twitter account (@pastorjonself)
- Plan for 4:00 access to Magic Kingdom
The party technically does not start until 7pm. However, all guests with MNSSHP tickets may enter Magic Kingdom at 4:00pm. Some MNSSHP exclusive activities for MNSSHP guests could start as soon as 4:00pm. We do not have exact details as of time of writing. However, this pattern happened in previous years of MNSSHP
- This is NOT Boo Bash
In 2021, Walt Disney World offered a different style of after-hours Halloween event, Boo Bash. In 2022, MNSSHP returned. If someone tells you about how they enjoyed or did not enjoy Boo Bash, that correlates in no way to this year’s event.
- Plan for Character interaction
During MNSSHP, many characters not seen any other time of year appear only during this event. Based on historical pattern, queues will be long for several like Jack Skellington. When you enter Magic Kingdom, get a map for the MNSSHP event. This will list character interaction locations. Then, ask a cast member when the ones you want to enjoy will start. Once the very popular ones start, queues will exceed an hour wait easily if this year functions like previous years.
- Get Your Wristband
As soon as you enter Magic Kingdom, go to one of the indicated locations on the map to get your MNSSHP wristband. This entitles you to access any MNSSHP aspects even before the day guests leave Magic Kingdom. You do not want to skip this step to get on an attraction then find yourself behind a big crowd wasting valuable party time standing in a queue for a wristband.
Costumes are allowed for MNSSHP. Just walking around seeing everyone’s themed costumes adds to the enjoyment of the event. In fact, MNSSHP is one of the rare times that adults can dress-up at Walt Disney World in costumes! However, costumes may not be worn before 4pm at Magic Kingdom on MNSSHP days. Please make sure your costume meets the guidelines.
General Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party Costume Guidelines:
- Disney may deny admission to anyone or remove anyone who is wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or could detract from other guests’ experiences.
- Guests may dress as their favorite characters but cannot pose for pictures or sign autographs as if they represent those characters in an official capacity.
- Costumes must be family-friendly in all ways.
- Costumes must not contain weapons that resemble or could be mistaken for real weapons.
- Costumes may not contain sharp or pointed objects, or materials that might accidentally strike another guest.
Now, costume limitations for anyone under the age of 14 provide greater freedom. However, guests aged 14 and above face more restrictions. These restrictions make sense, but you need to be aware beforehand.
For guests ages 14 and up:
- Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged and subject to additional security screening. None of us want to go through more security checks with trying to enter a theme park so choose wisely.
- Costumes may not reach or drag the ground
- Capes should not go below the waist. No one wants to be told by Edna Mode about how dangerous capes can be for costumed superheroes
- Themed T-shirts, shirts, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
- Transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords and tutus are OK. Headwear must not cover the face.
- Costume masks are not allowed. In contrast, children aged 13 and under may wear some style costume masks. Masks should not cover the entire face. Eyes must be visible.
Last thing about costumes, this is Florida in the summer and early fall. The temperatures will still be high. Expect humidity so dress accordingly. A huge heavy costume might sabotage your evening. Also, have a plan in case of rain regarding your costume.
- What Special Events Should I Expect?
We do not have full details at this moment. Still, Walt Disney World did announce officially many things like:
- The Headless Horseman will ride his ghostly steed down Main Street, U.S.A. as a prelude to “Mickey’s Boo-To-You Halloween Parade,” which features floats filled with Disney Characters dressed in their Halloween best, Disney villains and the Haunted Mansion graveyard diggers.
- All guests may go trick-or-treating at locations throughout Magic Kingdom Park. Also, this year, guests will receive a reusable trick-or-treat bag featuring a keepsake 50th Anniversary celebration and Halloween design. There will be allergy friendly treats also for anyone concerned about that.
- Guests can enjoy the Sanderson Sisters during the “Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular” stage show at Cinderella Castle as they call upon their frightening colleagues to conjure the ultimate “Hocus Pocus” Party Potion.
- Overlays themed for the occasion will happen for Space Mountain, Mad Tea Party, Pirates of the Caribbean and Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor.
- The Pumpkin King himself, Jack Skellington, will host “Disney’s Not-So-Spooky Spectacular.” This can’t-miss nighttime extravaganza features projections, special effects and lighting mixed with fireworks, music, and Disney characters.
- Also, in honor of the 50th Anniversary celebration, several special photo opportunities will be available. In addition to the reusable trick-or-treating tote bag, guests will also receive a Halloween-themed 50thAnniversary celebration commemorative print.
- Do I need to make a park pass reservation for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party?
Thankfully, no! If you only plan to attend the party at 4pm or later, then no reservations will be needed. If your plan involves entering a Walt Disney World theme park earlier in the day (with daytime ticket media), then you still need to make a park reservation as usual.
- What attractions are open during Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party?
According to Walt Disney World’s website:
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Pirates of the Caribbean (with some special Halloween additions)
Swiss Family Treehouse
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
In Liberty Square, Haunted Mansion will be open
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
“it’s a small world”
Peter Pan’s Flight
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mad Tea Party (with MNSSHP overlay)
Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
In Storybook Circus area,
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (with MNSSHP overlay)
Space Mountain (with less lighting)
Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover
Of course, all entertainment offerings and attractions are subject to change.
I hope this helped refresh your mind with details about MNSSHP. If this year will be your first time going, I also hope this helped. I plan to write a basic touring suggestion article before the first night of MNSSHP so people can plan how best to use their time. Also, as mentioned, this site will be providing more updates about MNSSHP as we get closer to August 12th. Enjoy the not so scary!
Pirates & Princesses (PNP) is an independent, opinionated fan-powered news blog that covers Disney and Universal Theme Parks, Themed Entertainment and related Pop Culture from a consumer's point of view. Opinions expressed by our contributors do not necessarily reflect the views of PNP, its editors, affiliates, sponsors or advertisers. PNP is an unofficial news source and has no connection to The Walt Disney Company, NBCUniversal or any other company that we may cover.